SVG

A Personal Message from Kenton X. Chance

Kenton X. Chance

Dear Reader,

As indicated in an earlier post, I-Witness News is now on an indefinite hiatus, which began at midnight on July 15, 2012.

After writing for I-Witness News for the past three years — while I was studying in Taiwan — I have decided to return to mainstream, commercial media. I am now employed at Searchlight newspaper in Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Interestingly, I joined the company 10 years after they provided me with my first training in journalism.

I will consider converting I-Witness News into a commercial venture some time in the future, depending on the circumstances. Hence, I encourage you to keep your subscriptions and to continue to use our discussion forum, where all comments will continue to be subject to moderation.

It was a pleasure to have served you, my readers, over the past three years. I-Witness News began as a requirement for my Internet journalism course while I read for my undergraduate degree in journalism and mass communication. It continued even as I read for my master’s degree (in international affairs).

Our first story “Dean: Insufficient Courses Result in ‘Required Electives’ at MCUIC” explained to students of Ming Chuan University in Taiwan why they were forced to take certain elective courses, and our latest article, “UK journalist writes book on Black Carib Wars”, reported on Christopher Taylor’s book about indigenous Vincentians.

We reported on the 2009 Constitution Referendum in St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), the 2010 general election and, among other things, was among the first Vincentian media to warn of the approach of Hurricane Tomas, which devastated SVG’s banana cultivation and significantly damaged the nation’s infrastructure at the end of October 2010.

Because of my work at I-Witness News, I have been accused of being an arm of the opposition New Democratic Party, the Internet version of the Agency for Public Information — and, hence, a public relations medium for the Unity Labour Party administration — and, among other things, a spokesperson for both Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves and Opposition Leader Arnhim Eustace.

In all of this, I have tried to be true to my profession notwithstanding the limitations of the confines in which I operated and some people’s seeming inability to understand or unwillingness to accept that there are still people who will provide such a service — free to the reader and at no financial gain to the provider — simply because of the love of a profession — in my case, journalism.

I have invested much of my time and money with very little if any financial gain. About two of my readers — one of whom is a relative — contributed to my effort, with their contribution totalling less that US$100. I used the money to purchase space to allow me to upload audio files, change the domain name, and to defer some of the cost of the many phone calls I made from Taiwan to St. Vincent.

But that is not to say that I did not benefit from this exercise. I have honed my skills and kept the name of “Taiwan-based Vincentian journalist Kenton Chance” in the public domain and marketed my skills as a reputable and efficient media practitioner.

In total, I have posted 1,365 articles, fewer than 20 of which were written by other people. There were 9,867 comments, 9,795 of which were approved. I am a firm believer in freedom of speech and while I personally disagreed with much of what was said, I did not approve comments only if they were spam or if I considered them to be potentially libellous. And while most writers of such comments used fake email addresses, when they did not, I offered them an opportunity to modify their comments to avoid potential legal implications.

At the time of writing this, the blog had amassed 2,049 followers and has received 765,910 hits — about 60,000 hits per month since last October, when I asked readers to subscribe after I stopped sending out email updates, as was the case previously.

So, as I move on to my next venture, I say thank you to all my readers and contributors, including those who submitted articles, provided information, photographs, audio or video recording, or any other contribution that helped in my effort. I thank also those who contributed their money. All of your various contributions went a long way and was appreciated by the rest of the I-Witness News community and I. A special thank you to those who help to proofread and those who provided legal advise — all done without any sort of compensation. Whoever you are and whatever your contribution was, I sincerely thank you.

If you wish to stay in touch with me, the contact portal on the blog will remain active — as will the archives and discussion forum. You can also reach me via Facebook or Twitter. Also, please consider subscribing to my personal website, where I would sometimes share my views on issues, not necessarily relating to journalism.

Once again, it was a pleasure to have served you at I-Witness News and I look forward to serving you again in a similar capacity should the opportunity present itself.

With sincerest regards,

Kenton X. Chance

Rillan Hill,

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Follow our FeedFollow on FacebookFollow on Twitter

About these ads

Discussion

39 thoughts on “A Personal Message from Kenton X. Chance

1. All the best Mr Chance! Congratulations on all your recent achievements!!

Posted by J305M | July 18, 2012, 08:43
  2. Mr. Chance, it was a pleasure being served by you. A well written message too, may I add. You were my source for early breaking news about my country and I will miss you. All the best on your adventures!

Posted by Enigma | July 18, 2012, 08:54
  3. Thank you Kenton! Your service to us, the online community and your contribution to journalism here in SVG is unparalleled and must be applauded. I wish you all the best at Searchlight Newspaper. I never came across a journalist who is quoted so much by PM, Opposition, talk shows and radio news as much as you and I-Witness are. You’ve carved out a name for yourself…a good name in the world of journalism. All the best.

Posted by Shefflorn Ballantyne | July 18, 2012, 08:56
  4. Job well done Kenton i am going to miss my update about my sweet Vincy. We get nothing like this in Toronto
    thanks again well done.

Posted by vastina Browne | July 18, 2012, 09:00
  5. You did fine work Kenton. Thank you. I look forward to your continued unbiased publications in the Searchlight Newspaper. All the best to you.

Posted by G. Cato | July 18, 2012, 09:04
  6. Thanks for the wonderful service!

Posted by Ken | July 18, 2012, 09:38
  7. Kenton, thanks for your labour of love and tireless service to Vincentians at home and abroad. Congratulations and all the best in your new assignment! God speed.

Posted by Jehann Jack | July 18, 2012, 09:48
  8. Mr Chance

Many thanks for your service over these past few years. In many instances, this is where I first heard about issues and read them with great interest. I believe you have done a very good job of bringing us information in a non biased way; sharing the facts as your investigation presented them.

As you go forward at the Searchlight, I wish you every success and urge you to be true to the profession; not to powerful members of society, politicians or parties, or Corporations…be true to, well, to the TRUTH. Even so, I also urge you to recognize when discretion can serve the greater good, and to avoid sensationalism.

So once again, thank you. Now, go dive into a pool of success!

Posted by Darrien Ollivierre | July 18, 2012, 10:08
  9. Best wishes to you in your future endeavors.

Posted by Doug Slater | July 18, 2012, 10:18
  10. VERY WELL WRITTEN SIR.YOUR SERVICE HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS AND BENEFICIAL TO A LOT OF US VINCIES LIVING ABROAD.I WANT TO WISH YOU THE BEST AND HOPE YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND CONTRIBUTIONS IN JOURNALISM.BLESS UP BRO.

Posted by Jason | July 18, 2012, 11:00
  11. Thanks and all the best to you

Posted by cj | July 18, 2012, 11:07
  12. Dear Kenton

Thank you very much for the past 3 years work. I have found I-Witness News invaluable as a reliable and well written source of news.

I look forward to further developments with interest and wish you all the best at Searchlight

Warmest regards

Clare Ibberson-John

Posted by cibbjohn | July 18, 2012, 11:34
  13. Happy Riddance

Posted by Chrys | July 18, 2012, 12:35
  14. How about serving at a higher level, like being in parliament? Wade Kojo could pick up from where you left off. He is doing a good with The Caribbean News. Thanks for all that you have done. Keep the fire burning. Nuff Respect.

Posted by Kala Saddi | July 18, 2012, 13:06
  15. Good Luck bro, welcome back home

Posted by vincy in bad shape | July 18, 2012, 13:31
  16. Thank you Kenton for your service over the years. While studying, I was able to keep abreast of issues happening in my country through this medium. I certainly appreciated the objectivity and professionalism in your reporting and I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Posted by Tesha | July 18, 2012, 17:01
  17. Right On Kenton, WRITE on!!!

Posted by Dexter E.M. Rose | July 18, 2012, 18:24
  18. Thanks! You are one of the best in the business…Always be true to your God and to yourself and don’t let anything or anyone cramp your style. All the best as you flow in the mainstream…

Posted by Paulette | July 18, 2012, 19:36
  19. hey kenton, great you got a job.Well ai lways read iwitness news.Your articles were always timely.I tried to subscribe with searchlight but it was such a pain trying to sign up.Keep reporting those stories no one else writes about

Posted by Ben | July 18, 2012, 20:37
  20. WE SURELY GOING TO MISS YOU BUT A MAN HAS TO DO WHAT HE HAS TO DO THAT INCLUDING YOU, BEST WISHES IN THE FUTURE WITH WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO, GOD BLESS.

Posted by grampa | July 18, 2012, 20:45
  21. Well done kenton. It was a good run while it last. The early morning and late evening news put me in a good spot to share with others in an authoratative way. Now that you are back home i know that you would certainly raise the bar for others and continue to contribute in a meaningful and professional way as you have grown accustom to.

Posted by junior | July 19, 2012, 08:54
  22. Thank you and best wishes! Keep striving to speak the truth in all things :)

Posted by HONESTY | July 19, 2012, 09:42
  23. Seriously? I just decided open i-witness news and this is what Im seeing. I will surely miss this blog. Honestly, as soon as something happened I would usually go to i-witness news to confirm. very sad

Posted by FBY | July 19, 2012, 21:18
  24. KENTON, I just hope you can pump some new vitality into the Searchlight, I stopped reading it because I felt it does not report what is really happening in SVG.

I thinks its to up the ar$e of Gonsalves, if you have your own column I will give it a try and see if you have the support of your freedom of speech that you thrive on. Of course working for a newspaper will restrict your freedom and liberty of speech and expression, I know you will have to toe the line and follow the policies.

I wish you well and look forward to your opening your own regional twice weekly newspaper, a truly regional newspaper. Think about it, I know you have the guts drive and education to do it.

All the SVG newspapers are like reading comic books, the reporters are frightened to ask questions of our politicians and the newspaper proprietors and editors are frightened to print anything that will upset Gonsalves, even if true.

Kenton I will follow your progress.

Best wishes once again.

Peter

Posted by Peter | July 19, 2012, 21:37
    • Peter, you raised some valid points and made some good suggestion in your comment. Kenton, congratulations on your worthy achievements and new appointment at “The Searchlight.” Will you be in the management, or journalism where you will have your own column?

This may sound far out, but it will be nice if you could enter into a business relationship/partnership with Searchlight where I-Witness News is concerned. This will allow you to comercialize I-Witness News and continue to post articles. That way we can continue to post comments on articles. Searchlight has a format where one can make comments on their articles, but its waste of time. You have to wait one week before your comment is posted, if it ever gets posted. This is just my just my thought. We will miss I-Witness News.

Posted by Eric Williams | July 20, 2012, 08:19
  25. Best wishes in your new venture and looking forward to objective, well researched articles in Searlight .

Posted by agnes barre | July 20, 2012, 09:17
  26. Thank you for for all you have done. Good luck going forward.

Posted by Precious | July 20, 2012, 09:46
  27. Peter, I guess the VITALITY that you’re LOOKING for Kenton to pump into the Searchlight is the garbage that tends to be written in that rag of a newspaper called THE NEWS.

It just shows that you do not have any RESPECT for QUALITY JOURNALISM, thus no RESPECT for Kenton.

Nevertheless, all the best to Kenton in his new position as assistant editor of the Searchlight newspaper.

Posted by VINCYPOWA | July 20, 2012, 10:34
  28. VINCYPOWA, unlike you, what all decent folk require is the truth, the whole story about what is really happening. Not lies and innuendos like GONSALVES is known to render and you are guaranteed to perpetuate and embroider..

I notice you have not had the decency to even comment on Kentons new position, you must be horrified that his position may open up a new front of truth and reliable reporting.

You are now, and always have been a scoundrel and a scamp, telling lies and denying the undeniable. You claim to be a Vincentian patriot, you are not, no one who supports the Marxist take over of our blessed country can be a patriot. Your patriotism is towards GONSALVES and his Marxist regime, which is not the same as being patriotic to the sovereignty of SVG.

The Syrian people are being slaughtered with the support and blessing of ALBA, Gonsalves and yourself, you are a man equal to garbage. Having sold your soul to the devil years ago.
    SVG has been supporting Syria at the UN, hoping to get more blood money for the airport.

Over the last couple of years, with the help of I-Witness News, you have been exposed as a paid Marxist mouth piece for GONSALVES and the ULP, helping them pretend to the world that they are a true Labour party, shrouded in the cloak of Labour, but practicing the evil of Marxist-Leninism, or as Gonsalves at sometime described it Scientific Socialism.

PEOPLE OF SVG AND THOSE OF YOU IN THE DIASPORA, VINCYPOWA IS A KNOWN AND PROVEN LIAR. JUST WATCH HIS REACTION TO THIS EXPOSE OF HIS TRUE PERSONALITY AND STANDING IN DECENT SOCIETY.

Posted by Peter | July 21, 2012, 11:12
  29. Thanks for a job well done Kenton. Your professionalism and balance have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Posted by Caribbean Lady | July 24, 2012, 13:57
  30. Am I a Prophet or what? Most individuals on this blog would recall the post I made after the LIAT fire in Antigua. See this link for the post. http://i-witness-news.com/2012/06/12/liat-suffered-tremendous-loss-in-fire-gonsalves/

Lo and behold, I am reading in The Vincentian today that LIAT had inadequate insurance and no insurance in some cases, and according to our Prime Minister, that has resulted in increased loses due to the fire. Who would have “Thunk” it? Tax payers holding the bag once againg for poor decisions and mismanagement at LIAT.

Posted by Eric Williams | July 26, 2012, 12:46
  31. Quite right ERIC-WILLIAMS, are you a profit or a loss.

Am I a Prohet or what? what can what be ERIC?

I told you so

Well, I told the government and farmers exactly what to do about trying to get Sigatoka under control. Last week they brought in a team of Cubans to carry out a study and give advice.

Well their advice is word for word what I wrote, I believe they copied my post.

Posted by Peter | July 28, 2012, 13:24
    • Peter your post concerning the Black Sigatoka disease certainly makes sense, and I would know because I was a banana once. I would not doubt that the disease was introduced via live plants; that’s why the USDA is so strict on the importation of plants into the USA.

Unfortunately, we in these small Islands tend to put personal relationships above the nation’s good, so a blind eye will always be turned when certain individuals are involved.

Posted by Eric Williams | July 30, 2012, 11:23
  32. ERIC WILLIAMS, I have heard the story about the introduction of the disease here by the individual that you allude to in cloaked terms. We can never be sure that is true because Vincentians tend to make up things and tell lies. Sigatoka is inevitably wind or bird born, and it is possible it traveled down the island chain, or was even brought by the banana boat.

By the way do you mean you were a banana once, or that you were a banana farmer once. Because if the former you will always be a banana until eaten and excreted, if the latter you may be lucky enough not to be a banana farmer now.

I visited the ‘Caribbean News Now’ site, those people who blog there are of a much sicker variety than ever blogged on the Caribbean’s leading and favorite site, I-Witness News that was operated by a journalistic genius. They tended to stay away from I-Witness because they could not stand the licks or the standard of debate.

Posted by Peter | August 2, 2012, 07:52
    • Peter, I had a good laugh when I read my post. I inadvertently omitted the word Farmer. To correct, I was a banana Farmer once. I farmed approximately three acres.

I must admit that the Caribbean News Now blog is dry and drab, nothing comapred to I-Witness News’ blog. One never know. Maybe Kenton will return soon to resume the converstion.

Posted by Eric Williams | August 11, 2012, 20:40
    • yes i know its good but kenton need to write about all the rape,voilence and murders thats going on in s.v.g.
      mr.chance you and your governments need to do something,please can’t you see this contry is going down the grain.

Posted by jackson | August 18, 2012, 16:35
  33. Well as everyone talking about what Mr Chance should and should not write in the searchlight,I believe this a good opportunity for Mr Chance to publish the following matter into the search light:
    I am a Vincentian by birth. I have began travelling since 30 years ago. For the past 12 yrs I have been in and out of St.Vincent once or twice per year. Everyone who travels knows that there are really tight security ‘check and search’ since 911. However,despite the fact that these searches are significant and necessary there is a bad side arising from these tough check points. I have proven that the security has used this procedure to lost or stole travellers merchandise. In 2010 late August after checking in my hand luggage with security and passed through the scanner at Anosvale I realized my camera was not in the tray at the other end. I screamed for my camera and no security was able to retrieve it for me.They made me feel that I left the camera at my home,when I send my relative to check there was no camera. I began pointing my fingure now at an innocent person. Last year 2012 late August. The security placed an empty tray over my pouch-purse with document and money and pretend they never see such item. I found it myself after tossing empty trays around. This year 01/24/12. A black trimmed-head round faced and heavy weight female security never pushed through the same pouch purse despite she heard me screaming for my purse and its only when she saw me running back to the immigration and liat at the outside and calling my relative to verify that they saw me leaving with my pouch -purse in my hand is when the woman admit that she had the purse in her possession and didn’t send it through with my other items. What a shame,they stole my camera in 2010 and now tried to steal my money and documents last thursday. I met Gonsalves on the plane and mannerly asked to speak to him and he refused,he said he needed to read. I only wanted 3 mins of his time just to hear him say he will look into the matter later. Gonsalves turned around and tell a woman he can’t take on any complaint so early. Is Gonsalves the minister of security? Gonsalves was a man used to talk to any body before he was PM and even in his first term. Now Gonsalves is so important he choose who to talk too. Despite what people said about Gonsalves I was always neutral but not any more. Folks tell me if I am not afraid the PM will band me from SVG. My reply was let him band himself first before he band me. So this is how Vincentians sit down and do nothing because Gonsalves have people afraid of him. Gonsalves hurry up build the airport and retire. SVG need young and new university grads to start a new kind of politics. Old fashion politices must go. I am ready to support new and sound political policies and be a member,supporter and representative of such political parties

Posted by Prof-Dasilva | January 29, 2013, 18:16
  34. KENTON, can you make available to us on this I-WITNESS NEWS.COM site an authorised reproduction of the SEARCHLIGHT Newspaper’s recent series on THE PORTUGUESE OF ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES?
    I would like to stay in touch with our I-WITNESS NEWS bloggers, as well.
    I can be contacted, publicly, at e-mail: press_huggins@aol.com
    I would like to hear how you guys are getting on. ‘Nuff respect to all.

Posted by STEVE_HUGGINS | January 30, 2013, 03:01