SVG

Majority of Vincentians ‘still want the monarchy’

Vincentian students welcome to Royal Couple to the Botanical Gardens on Saturday (Photo: Gustaus Stevenson, via Facebook).

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent – If Senator Julian Francis, general secretary of the ruling Unity Labour Party had any doubts about the love of Vincentians for their monarch, they were removed on Saturday when two members of the Royal Family visited this country for one day.

And he also realised that the 2009 proposed revised constitution was doomed for failure as long as it contained that clause about removing the Queen as this country’s head of state.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex — Prince Edward and his wife Sophie Rhys-Jones — visited this country on Saturday as part of celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s ascension to the throne — the Diamond Jubilee.

“Yesterday, when the Prince visited, it confirmed to me that we could not have won that referendum. The outpouring of the people in St. Vincent to come and greet Prince Edward yesterday confirmed to me that people, in the majority in St. Vincent, still want the monarchy. … It was like a carnival in town yesterday,” Francis said on radio on Sunday.

Trade unionist Noel Jackson, who was also a panellist on the programme, said that while many Vincentians welcomed the Royal Couple, some were displeased by their presence in the former British colony. A lot of people were “terribly upset,” Jackson said.

“I was in town yesterday and a lot of people were cursing and I took the opportunity to remind them that this spectacle that you see here, you voted for it in the 2009 referendum,” Jackson said.

In November 2009, 45 per cent of Vincentians casting ballots in the Constitution Referendum voted against the proposed changes to the 1979 Constitution inherited from the British. Among the proposed changes was removing the British monarch as the country’s head of state, thereby making the country a republic.

During his visit, Prince Edward said that the Queen, “asked me to convey that in celebrating this year, she really wants you to know how much she appreciates the fact that you continue to look to her as your queen and as your head of state and appreciate that loyalty that you have shown to her over all these years”.

Follow our FeedFollow on FacebookFollow on Twitter

About these ads

Discussion

25 thoughts on “Majority of Vincentians ‘still want the monarchy’

1. I GIVE UP: “THE QUEEN AND HER FAMILY ARE FUNCTIONAL FOR THE PROPER WORKING OF OUR SOCIETY”. THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, WHEN THEY SORT TO BECOME A REPUBLIC, ENDED UP WITH A LIMITED TERM “FIRST FAMILY” THAT MIMICS THE ROYAL FAMILY. IT APPEARS THAT WE NEED THESE ASCRIBED STATUSES FOR MORTALS LIKE ME AND YOU TO ASPIRE TO BUT CAN NEVER REACH

Posted by F.U.D.Z. | February 27, 2012, 07:41
  2. Big blinking JOKE, it is normal to pay respect, these young one don’t know much yet, in Canada an the US it is younger generation that will remove them, it a matter of time they are already voicing their view for some time now, It is about we run our own country. an be rid of them, these people don’t know hungry means, never work a hard days work in their miserable lives, they are the biggest welfare recipient in the world. now let the foolish Vincentians curse me out, they are entitled to it, like I am entitle to my own views. I don’t give a shit, never give a darn about these people an never will, DOWN WITH THE MONARCHY.

Posted by GODWIN | February 27, 2012, 08:25
    • Thank you Godwin.And you have the right name to.GOD-WIN! Not these damn oppressors from england.

Posted by Jason | February 27, 2012, 11:23
  3. Even the US tried to have their own Psychic level monarchy through their obsession with the Kennedy ‘Dynasty”.

Posted by Phillip | February 27, 2012, 08:49
  4. Better The Queen than a bunch of Marxist dictators who rule with evil and personel greed.

It wasn’t just removal of the Queen that was objected to in the proposed constitution, it was all the other things that would of brought dictatorship to SVG, and take away the rights of the people.

Posted by Peter | February 27, 2012, 10:20
  5. Modern day slavery continues I see. lmao How you make yo bed is so yo have to sleep in it.So I dont want to hear bout no one complaining in vincy again!

Posted by Jason | February 27, 2012, 11:22
  6. Modern day slavery is in Cuba, where people are paid US$25 a month wages. Can’t leave the country except with government permission, hardly ever it granted. Can’t own a computer or have internet without government approval.

Venezuela, 60% of rural homes have no running water, and a lot have no electricity.

We are being pulled down to their level.

We do not want or need Marxist scum, or you people who are colaborators of the Marxist scum for payment or favour.

Posted by Peter | February 27, 2012, 16:33
    • PETER YOU AIN’T FED UP WITH YOUR STUPIDNESS? HOW OLD R YOU REALLY,5 YEARS OLD? YOU HAVE THE IQ AND MATURITY OF A 5 YEAR OLD.

Posted by Jason | February 28, 2012, 00:58
  7. Francis boy your correct, the people still want the Queen. Its you they don’t want, the unelected and un-electable. Have you re-thought your statement that when the airport is finished it will all be paid for and there will be no debt, remember that lie.

Posted by Peter | February 27, 2012, 19:15
  8. PETER WHEN THE AIRPORT OPEN WHY DONT YOU SWIM INSTEAD YOU MORON! YOU ANOTHER FOOL LIKE LYNCH! WAIT YOUR TURN WILL COME NEXT! YOU REMEMBER THAT TRUTH.

Posted by Jason | February 28, 2012, 01:03
  9. Peter, here is an OPPORTUNITY to PROVE that you’re not just DELUSIONAL AIRHEAD just TALKING NONSENSE just because you can.

Tell us what were the “other things that would of brought dictatorship to SVG, and take away the rights of the people.

Try to ANSWER what is REQUESTED of you instead of RESPONDING with more MUMBO JUMBO.

Posted by vincypowa | February 28, 2012, 01:44
  10. Eustace and the NDP wanted to keep the QUEEN of ENGLAND as HEAD of STATE of SVG and Dr. Gonsalves and the ULP wanted a VINCENTIAN to be in that POST as a PRESIDENT of the REPUBLIC of St. Vincent and the Grenadines under a NEW CONSTITUTION.

I guess Eustace’s daughter, Maia, was right.

Eustace and the NDP are SUFFERING from COLONIALISM and MENTAL SLAVERY, so they FOUGHT for dear LIFE to KEEP the OLD WHITE WOMAN from Britain by the name of Elizabeth Windsor as HEAD OF STATE of SVG.

Since the COLONIAL BOYS and GIRLS aka SUPPORTERS of the NO VOTE in the REFERENDUM are DEVOTED to a person that they have NEVER EVER seen in SVG, it makes me wonder if they RELISH the IDEA of PLEDGING ALLEGIANCE to the QUEEN?

Frankly, it is just EMBARRASSING, SAD and HILARIOUS whenever I THINK that these people supported a WHITE WOMAN that they have NEVER SEEN in their ENTIRE LIVES to REMAIN the HEAD of STATE of an INDEPENDENT and SOVEREIGN NATION called SVG in this the 21st CENTURY.

Can you say BACKWARD?

The IRONY is, when they come with their Gonsalves this and Julian Francis that, somehow people should take them SERIOUSLY. LOL LOL LOL LOL

It is no wonder Eustace and the NDP continue to use NEGATIVE PROPAGANDA and LIES on a daily, because they know that their supporters are EASY to EXPLOIT. They will EAT IT UP as if the GOSPEL has been spoken by Eustace and his BUNCH of BIG LIE PROPAGANDISTS within the party. LOL LOL LOL LOL

I have to LAUGH for FEAR of FEELING SAD and EMBARRASSED for them, because they’re still my PEOPLE, Vincentians.

Posted by vincypowa | February 28, 2012, 02:24
  11. It is ironic how everything in the small shallow minds of others always come down to politics, ULP/NDP where it is reverent I have no clue, like the leader says keep them blind an they will be easy to lead, in some of these case they are blind and dumb, “BUT HEY” who am I to complain they have the right to write any shit that comes to mind, when they don’t have anything to back up what they are saying, (joke), I remember someone telling me that airplanes cannot land in Cuba during the day. I was stunned by the statement, I went to Cuba I certainly didn’t land in the dark, I wonder when all these people who travel to Cuba to look after their eyes free of charge on the government, did they travel at night. please people give me a break.

Posted by GODWIN | February 28, 2012, 16:40
  12. I would sooner pledge my allegiance to anyone, than to a second rate Marxist who has unconstitutionally led us into the new colonialism of ALBA.

What you VincyPow fail to understand is that your stupid repeated lies in support of the Unity Liars party and its Liar King leader, is now known by all to be crap.

Everyone who reads this post knows that you and your little band of helper elves are paid saboteurs, paid collaborators, paid in cash and favours to attack the truth whenever it might expose the evil of the Marxist regime in SVG,

VinceyPowa, I am getting fed up with reminding you to repay the people of Calliaqua the money.

BUB

Posted by Peter | February 28, 2012, 20:45
  13. VincyPowa, keep up the good work, with friends like you Gonsalves certainly doesn’t need enema’s, I mean enemies, maybe I was right first time.

I want to ask the police woman if Gonsalves is good kisser?

Posted by Peter | February 28, 2012, 20:51
  14. PETER, what is the matter, you cannot put forth the points in the then proposed constitution to support your claim of “other things that would of brought dictatorship to SVG, and take away the rights of the people,” if the YES VOTE had won the referendum?

Why am I not SURPRISE by your INABILITY to answer what is REQUESTED of you?

Nevertheless, the more you open your trap, the more you’re showing everyone that you’re nothing more than a DELUSIONAL SOUL who is STUCK in a TIME that the WORLD has LEFT BEHIND.

See you AROUND BUB.

Posted by vincypowa | February 28, 2012, 23:44
  15. Sorry NANCYPOWA, your post has not been selcted for reply, due to its content of untruth stupidity.

Posted by Peter | February 29, 2012, 19:31
  16. PETER, in other words, you CANNOT POINT to anything in the then PROPOSED NEW CONSTITUTION that would have BROUGHT DICTATORSHIP to SVG, and TAKE the RIGHTS of PEOPLE away.

Come on, PETER, show us that you’re not just BRAYING JACKARSE pretending to be an INFORMED individual.

We await the EVIDENCE to support your claim. But I am 101% CONFIDENT that it is NOT GOING to come, because you’re an EMPTY BARREL.

That said; you REMIND me of Vynette Frederick, who ACTED like she was a TECHNOLOGY GURU, but when asked by PRIME MINISTER Dr. Gonsalves what does the acronym LTE means she did not have a CLUE.

SEE U AROUND BUB.

Posted by vincypowa | February 29, 2012, 22:15
  17. Peter, homework for you me boy, go onto caribbean news now and look for the letters from one Simon Anderson, look at the writing style, and the guy is replying to his own letters… Vincy Powa [Simon Anderson]. Check it out Peter, you will laugh your a.. off

Posted by vincy in bad shape | March 1, 2012, 09:41
  18. Vincy In Bad Shape, I just cannot be bothered at times to answer his stupid childish posts, I am not running around doing what he demands, I can and have. I have played him like a fish for years. Just fed up with all his lies and crap.

I do not want to reveal his real name, then I cannot write all the things I say about him.

He really is one of the worst things that ever happened to SVG. an untouchable who you would cross the road to miss meeting.

Nasty child, nasty man.

I know when his mind is crucked, he keeps useing the word BUB.

And he owes a whole bunch of money to the people in Calliaqua.

Posted by Peter | March 1, 2012, 21:21
  19. PETER, you’re ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

You cannot be BOTHERED with ANSWERING your STUPID CHILDISH POST about “other things that would of brought dictatorship to SVG, and take away the rights of the people,” if the YES VOTE had gotten the required percentage of votes needed to rid this nation of the OUTDATED and FLAWED current constitution given to this nation by our FORMER COLONIAL MASTER, Britain, in 1979.

Posted by vincypowa | March 1, 2012, 22:16
    • great work simon anderson….. and its the same licks you are taking on caribbean net news…

Posted by vincy in bad shape | March 2, 2012, 00:16
  20. I will leave Gonsalves to give him the licks, I understand he is a slicker licker than we all know about.

Posted by Peter | March 4, 2012, 21:14